Sunday, April 5, 2009

Old enough to know better

I saw this picture last night and then I read this quote this morning: "Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old enough to know better."

When I found this photo the caption read, "It pays to be Russian." As if it were a good thing.

This is so vile... most of these girls are underage, most of them are there against their will, and most of them will never see a dime that is made from them laying on there backs over and over and over again.

I have heard it said that this issue is one for the christians to deal with, or the feminist, or individual governments. I would argue that this is one for the human race to take care of. We are, "old enough to know better" and "we should be ashamed of ourselves."

We are so proud of globalization and being accepting of different cultures, but at the same time we have let this gender bias flourish and enabled men to create a commodity out of little girls.

We might be able to soothe our conscious and flick on another episode of "24" or "Lost" and say that we are not the dirt bags that are out creating a stain on the human condition.

When I start to think like that I am reminded of Edmund Burke's words, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men (and I would add, women) do nothing."

No comments: