Sunday, December 28, 2008

My highlight


I was in Cambodia for two weeks... We saw some amazing things, but for me the highlight is displayed in this picture.
Fritz and I were filming a mini-documentary about a young lady who was trafficked and eventually became a client at Transitions Global. She has been there for just over a year, she has gone through their reintegration program and while we were there she moved out of their safe-home and into an apartment with one of the other clients from Transitions.
In this photo we are outside the slum were she was born and were trying to get photos and video for her story. When all of the sudden she sees her mom. We have no idea how long it has been since they have seen each other but both Fritz and I were freaking out at this point... I mean what are the odds of this happening?
Anyways, they chat for a few minutes and then our movie star ask our driver/translator for money, so that she can give it to her mom. I butt in at this point to find out what is going on and figure out what is going down... I reach for my wallet and I only have $8 left for the day (the rest of the money is back at the hotel), so I took it all out and gave it without hesitation....
This young lady looked at the money as if it were a million dollars and then looked at me as if to say, "Are you sure?" In that moment I had one of those times where you have a thousand thoughts all at once.... I also started getting something stuck in my eye (because I don't cry.. It must have been really dusty) as I thought about how much it meant to her to be able to give this to her mom and how I was able to do this for her without any strings attached. How many men had she looked at before that had so many sick and twisted strings attached to their "provision"?
The whole transaction took less than a moment but I will remember it for the rest of my life!

No comments: