Thursday, June 18, 2009

My hand at poetry

So, I am in an English 120 class and I was tasked with writing a poem about something I am passionate about. Bet you all can't guess what I decided to write about. :-)
I have never claimed to be a poet so this poem could be horrible... However, I did put as much passion into as I knew how and so I figured I would share it with you all!

The poem is based off of the four main principles which Transitions Global operates by:
1.) Rescue is not an event; it is a process.
2.) Freedom without a future is simply another form of slavery.
3.) When you can't tell the difference between her and us, we have done our job.
4.) By giving girls choices, we restore their voices.

The twist is that I wrote the poem from the perspective of these precious girls that we have the privilege to serve.


"Rescue me"

This is not an event
To simply remove me from harm and strife
This is a process, a journey
To help me rebuild, to restore my life

I know what I am saved from
What are you saving me to?
Once we are all rescued
What are we to do?

Will you commit to me excellence?
Will you truly give me a chance?
Will you work tirelessly?
Will you give me a life of substance?

This trauma has disabled me
Will you restore my voice?
I am fragile but I am strong
Please show me that I have, choice.

No comments: